Saturday, December 24, 2011

Teen Vogue Inspiration

So a few weeks ago I was sitting with my roommates in the living room and I had just brought in the mail. Some girl who used to live in the upstairs apartment has a subscription to TeenVogue and she never got rid of it, so now we reap the rewards. My roommate was reading through it, and I’m not going to lie.. I was judging. My exact thoughts were what 21 year old is sitting around reading Teen Vogue, better yet what college student actually bought the subscription? Either way, after I shamelessly made fun of her I decided to flip through it as well. Go figure. While I didn’t read the articles [Unfriended how to deal with feeling left out, cool style 318 ideas, it girl Alexa Chung, etc. — I guess I just outgrew the articles ]  I did look at all the pretty pictures, obviously. I kept looking at designs and thinking how much more I would like that on my nails than as a dress. Weird, I know. So I ripped out a few pages for nailspiration. 

And then…the other day I was browsing tumblr for nail art (as usual) and I saw this post by Miss Ladyfinger. Miss Ladyfinger does amazzzzing nail art, using all different inspirations but usually it is fashion/runway. 

I never really thought that anyone else would be flipping through Teen Vogue thinking  "man, that would look good on my nails." I was wrong. We pulled the same photo. Small world. Once I saw her completed mani, I had to do mine. If I had not seen Miss Ladyfingers mani, I probably wouldn’t have had the motivation to actually complete this look. Thanks for the motivation/inspiration!

So here is my version of Diane von Furstenberg’s dress :)





I did mine a little different than Miss L’s but I definitely used some of the tips she gave in her tutorial, like sponging on white over the mint green. :) I actually tried following hers but it just did not work out so I had to switch it up a little haha
The polishes I used were:
  • Seche Base Coat
  • Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear - Mint Sorbet
  • Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear - White On [sponged]
  • e.l.f. - Teal Blue
  • Color Club Nail Art - White and Black
  • Seche Vite 





So I used 2 coats of the Mint Sorbet, waited for it to dry and sponged on the White On. I then waited for that to dry and attempted taping off my nail. Whomp. No luck, I ended up having to use Seche Vite after I sponged the white on, which kind of ruined the sponge effect, but allowed me to tape my nails without pulling the polish. I was way too impatient to wait around for it to dry on its own. So then I taped it off so I would be able to have the Teal Blue at the base of my nail, but the polish kept bleeding under the tape and looking like shit. :( Which led me to taping off the base of my nail and letting my tips get all the attention. Voila! Something finally worked for me. Then I just used the nail art polishes to make the designs and that was it plus 2 coats of Seche Vite.

1 coat of Seche would have been fine, but seeing as I picked up the nail polish remover cap and flipped it over forgetting there was nail polish in it I figured one extra coat would be just fine… Rough night for nails. 





So anyway, I hope you like! Sorry for rambling :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love hearing from all of you and appreciate all the feedback!

If you have any questions feel free to ask here! I'll try to respond quickly!